Wednesday, October 14, 2009

PPLH and Jogja (all photos stolen from friends)

I'll use this opportunity to update two weeks worth of things that have been going on.  By things, I guess I mainly mean weekend trips, as during the week we normally play pool, go bowling, watch movies, have food nights (which are sweet) or just chill out at home.  Nothing too exciting happens during the week.
Borobudur Temple (Ian White's Photo)

After my long holiday, the first weekend back was PPLH, a natural little resort set in the foothills of a mountain catering to school groups and work outings, set in an idyllic forest with some really cool little rooms to stay in.  The best part about the rooms were the bathrooms.  The door is normal, but there is only one wall, where the door is, and part of another wall with ends in a little garden and grass area.  It's completely open, so its like you do your business in your backyard, and can see the sky, the mountains in the background and had lots of vines and flowers.  I like the infusion on inside and outside spaces that Indo has seemed to perfect.  We spent the afternoon just hanging out, playing games, reading and playing cards.  It wasn't the most exciting weekend, but any chance to get out of the heat, pollution and traffic of Surabaya is worth it!
Prambanan Temple (Dewi Lestiani's Photo)

Following that, the next weekend trip was to Jogjakarta, knows as the artistic soul of Java.  It's one of those towns that just has a great feel to it.  Loads of art, music, great coffee shops and cafes, little bars and a relatively walkable area makes it a perfect place to chill out for a couple days.  Also, there are some great Hindu and Buddhist temples around.  We took a 7 am train, and were at the hotel by 1 pm.  We spent the first day drinking by the pool, lounging around and enjoying being free from work.  It was a perfectly relaxing day.  Needless to say the drinks kept coming and it ended up being a long night as well.  However, the next morning at 445 am we woke up to do a half day tour of the temples.  They were really cool, and being a "local" with working visa, we get in for 10x's less than tourists.  That's always a plus.
The morning and afternoon were spent roaming temples, and then we returned to Jogja for some incredible sandwiches, and afternoon nap, and relaxing evening.  We caught the 7 am train back to Surabaya, and went directly into work.  It's nice being able to do morning transit back and get the extra night when we travel.

Some of the group I have joined up with are finishing their contracts, and moving on, which is a sad time, but the longer I live abroad the more I get used to people coming and going, meeting up again later on and keeping in touch with people all over.  It's great to meet such like minded people roaming the globe as I am, happy to just be out there experiencing new things.  Ruth and Rachel will be missed, and next week a new set of people leave.  But more will come and I hope they're up for the challenge of weekly trips around East Java... we'll see...
Snacks from a Bu (Bu means mother)

Thanks mom for sending me my divers card.  The best part was that Maggie says hello.  I don't know if you knew this, but she's dead. Your dogs name is MATTIE, and I bet she wanted to say hello too. But I bet Mags would have said hi if she could.
Shelley I love your blog and being able to keep up with Dom.  It's weird how much he's grown and how much he can do, and I thank you for posting so much to keep me informed (and the other people).  I hope to meet the little guy sometime in the next couple years... promise.
Selebriti (guess what it means in English)

Sampai Nanti! (until later)

1 comment:

Shelley, Nick, and Baby G said...

Thanks for the shout out and I am glad that you can watch Dom grow "virtually!" Yes, let's plan a time to meet up somewhere in the world!